What does BS stand for in college? A BS degree refers to a Bachelor of Science degree in college. It is awarded after completing a degree in Science. Generally, it takes around 4 years to complete it; however accelerated programs may take a little bit longer. Let us talk about what does BS in college stand for in detail. We have also provided information regarding bachelor program.
What does BS stand for in College – Described
In this article, we are going to discuss the most asked question What does BS stand for in college or what is BS degree meaning ? Then we will have a look on what opportunities does this degree provides and also what is the difference between BA and BS degree. We are also going to discuss the following things in this article-
- BS degree meaning
- What does BS stand for in college degrees
- what does BS in college stand for and what for universities
- What is the cost of doing the BS course?
- What Bachelor of Science subjects are
Most of the BS degrees require around 120 credits but some may require less or more. BS degree programs are commonly available in technical and scientific fields such as life sciences, mathematics, and computer science. The curriculum is more technical in its outlook but it may include lab-based courses and other hands-on learning opportunities.
Bachelor of Science Subjects
I guess, we gave you a fair idea of What does BS stand for in college now comes the subjects and programs that a BS student requires. Bachelor of Science degree programs is available in a wide range of subject areas. They are available in both science and business. The top programs that come under the domain of BS are-
- BS in Computer science
- BS in Information Technology
- BS in Business Administration
- BS in Finance
- BS in Biology
- BS in Accounting
- BS in Mechanical Engineering
- BS in Mental healthcare
- BS in psychology
- BS in Chemistry
- BS in Electrical Engineering
- BS in Marketing
- BS in Information systems
- BS in Management
- BS in Mathematics
The top most selective subjects by the students are given below-
- Environmental Science
- Computer Science
Difference between BA and BS Degree
A Bachelor of Arts degree provides students a broader education in their major. Students are allowed to take a wide range of liberal art subjects such as humanities, literature, history, social sciences, communications, and a foreign language.
Students can choose from a diverse list of courses that fulfill each liberal arts requirement. This allows students to actively adjust their education to their interests. A Bachelor of Arts degree provides a more diverse education in a particular major, that is why a BA degree generally requires fewer credits than a Bachelor of Science degree
A Bachelor of Science degree provides students a more specialized education in their major. Generally, a BS degree requires more credits than a BA degree because a BS degree is more concentrated in a specific major. Students have to focus on studying their major at a more in-depth level. Students have fewer chances to take classes outside of their major.
By now, as you know BS degree meaning let’s talk about its criteria. A BS degree is generally offered in technical and scientific areas like engineering, technology, mathematics, computer science, nursing, and biochemistry. Although a BS degree is generally provided in scientific degrees, many schools provide BS degrees in specialized fields.
Few subjects like psychology, accounting, and business are regularly offered in both Bachelor of Arts and Bachelor of Science degree programs. In this case, students can choose whether they prefer the wider sweep of the Bachelor of Arts track or the more tightly focused approach of the Bachelor of Science track.
It is a choice most of the students are being offered. Academically, there is a big difference between BA and BS degree with two different stream, two different careers. But both the Bachelor of Arts degree and Bachelor of Science degree are equally valued. Both offer the students who earn them the chance to continue their education at the master’s degree level if they are so inclined. But, the two tracks do tend to have different strengths.
The coursework required for a Bachelor of Arts degree generally allows students to improve and develop their communication and writing skills. By comparison, the demands of a Bachelor of Science degree typically based on analytical skills and a detailed understanding of subject matter.
Opportunities after completing a BS Degree
After talking about What does BS stand for in college in brief it is time to move on other vital point that is, what opportunities you get after your education.
- Actuary– Actuaries gather and analyze facts to calculate the financial costs of risks. They prepare mathematical models so that they can assess future risks. They spend a lot of their time working with numbers so they need to possess the knowledge of probability and statistics.
There are a lot of opportunities for actuaries in insurance companies. They also work in corporate firms. The median salary is 103,000 per annum. Employment growth is 27% right now. BLS has predicted a very positive growth of 58% in the future.
- Biomedical Engineers– Biomedical engineers are focused on improving and saving lives throughout the world through innovations. They do work and research in the world of Biology, Healthcare, and Engineering. Some of them also use their skills in electrical and mechanical engineering to solve healthcare problems.
Biomedical Engineers play a vital role in the creation of items such as prosthetic limbs, artificial organs, cardiac devices, and many medical instruments. Some are also involved in complex areas such as tissue engineering, stem cell research, nanotechnology, and synthetic drugs.
They work in a team which consists of doctors, nurses, technicians, medical scientist, etc. They get employment opportunities in biotech organizations, Pharmaceutical companies, and research labs. The average annual salary of biomedical engineers is $88,360.
- Computers Systems analyst- They are tasked with designing and developing computer systems. Their job ranges from selecting and configuring software and hardware to monitor and test the system to troubleshooting problems and adjusting the technology to the needs of the users.
They provide systems requirements to software developers and network architects. They also consult managers and users to create system objectives. The average annual salary is $82,320.
- Healthcare Manager- Healthcare managers plan and look after medical and health services, as well as the costing and delivery of healthcare. They also examine the requirement for services, personnel, and equipment.
Healthcare managers at small facilities mostly oversee the entire facility, whereas health care managers working at large healthcare institutions usually specialize in overseeing a particular clinical area or department. Some healthcare managers supervise a medical practice for a group of doctors.
The average annual salary is $86,400.
- Network Administrator– Network administrators plan, build, upgrade, and maintain computer networks, and play a vital role in keeping them secure. They make sure that crucial servers and other types of equipment and applications work almost 100% of the time. They also might deal with emergencies on important projects.
Network administrators install and support computers and their operating systems, and supervise the operation of a company’s computer networks, including local area networks (LANs), network segments, wide area networks (WANs), intranets, and other types of data-based communication systems.
Network administrators install and support Web servers and software that are used for the Internet. They also install and maintain software and hardware. The average annual salary is $70000
- Software Developer- Software developers are the creative people who design, develop, test, and maintain various types of software. Software developers analyze the needs of a company, create a solution, and then design or modify the software. They also write software code.
Some software developers typically work on their own; however, they often coordinate the work of a team, including the production of software products, and the selection of content providers and graphic creators.
They also cooperate with computer programmers to coordinate the assembly, production, and distribution of the final product.
The average annual salary is $100,420
- Cost Estimator- Cost estimators analyze how much a project will cost, to help a company decide if they should manufacture a product or build a structure. They evaluate all the factors which can lead to a change in the cost of a project, including labor, supplies, special equipment, and location.
Cost estimators evaluate which jobs are making a profit. They also estimate how long it will take workers to complete work. They estimate delays that may occur due to bad weather or late deliveries. Over 60% of cost estimators work in the construction industry; the rest work in a wide range of other industries.
The average annual salary is $62,670.
Cost of Education in BS Degree
The average tuition fee for a student who has opted for a part-time program is $1,684 with a Bachelor’s degree in Sciences. The average annual tuition fees for students who have opted for a full-time BS degree is $26,955. There are additional costs as well that vary according to the University.
For international students, the average annual costs range from $27000 to $45000. This program is very affordable. By far you have collected a lot of idea what does BS in college stand for what will be the amount you have to invest during the studies and where did you get job after study and so on.
So the bachelor’s degree in science is a great career option. It has a lot of opportunities in various fields. This degree has a lot of value at the college level. There are many options you can go for after completing a BS degree. So the scope of advanced studies and research is immense.
So, if you are interested in this course, then do not hesitate in pursuing it. This course is very affordable and is available in all the top Universities in the world. There are a lot of programs under it. You will never be short of options while pursuing it. The best part about this program is that it is far more focused-oriented than its counterparts.
We hope that all your doubts regarding What does BS stand for in college degree have ended. If you need further assistance, then do not hesitate in contacting us at our official website onlineschoolsnearme.com.