Special Education Degree Online: People who hold a special education degree get an opportunity to work with students studying in public schools, private schools, hospitals, residential facilities, and homes. A professional with a online special education degree helps the students that are qualified for special services after assessing their capabilities as compared to other students of similar age group. The majority of their disabilities are learning-related. However, some disabilities can also be emotional, physical, or mental. One can also go through professional development course to know more than basic.
These students have a federally-compulsory IEP (individualized education plan). It means that the schools are legally obligated to provide special education services to such students. It is to be noted that this sector is subject to the rules and regulations of the federal and state government that are subject to frequent changes.
Special Education Degree Online- Subjects
If you are passionate and committed to serving exceptional students, you need to undergo a online course. It opens many promising career avenues for deserving candidates. Here are some major specialties in this subject:
- Autism Spectrum Disorders (ASD) – This specialization prepares professionals to serve students who are suffering from a developmental and neurological disorder called autism.
- Applied Behavior Analysis (ABA) – ABA focuses on increasing healthy and positive learning behaviors and decreasing unhealthy and harmful behaviors in the students. This is done with effective communication, dexterity, and learning skills.
- Deaf and Hard of Hearing (DHH) – This specialization is focused on the learning abilities of the students with hearing impairments.
- Emotional or Behavioral Disorders (EBD) – Professionals opting for this specialization have to deal with students who are suffering from a wide range of learning, behavioral, and emotional challenges.
- Dyslexia – Graduates will help students who are suffering from reading and learning development issues.
- Early Childhood or PreK-12 Special Education – Special education degree online specialization prepares the candidates to work with very young students with learning disabilities.
- High-Incidence Disabilities – Graduates are trained to work with students suffering from communication disorders, autism spectrum disorders, emotional disorders, learning disabilities, and other mind-to-moderate disabilities.
- Low-Incidence Disabilities – This specialization trains graduates to work with students who have significant, multiple, or severe disabilities like emotional disorders or physical impairments.
- Intellectual and Developmental Disabilities (IDD) – This specialization focus on helping the students suffering from various intellectual disabilities, genetic orders, and ASD issues like cerebral palsy.
- Visual Impairment or / Low Blindness and Vision – Students with visual impairments and blindness are focused under special education degree online section.
- Secondary Special Education – The deserving graduate will be responsible to work with high school-aged students with disabilities.
Online special education degree
The best part about the special education degree online is that it generally provides options for customizing the curriculum according to your specific career goals. However, you need to explore all the available options within each potential course program. Be it bachelor’s or Master’s, here are a few crucial aspects that you should consider while researching an
- Field experience and internship – You see, it is crucial to gain field experience while doing a degree course in special education. It offers relevant skills and knowledge or relevant experience to mention in your resume. Make sure you look for programs that have in-built internships or fieldwork while pursing online masters degree in special education.
- Concentrations – Online programs are generally focused on study. In the special education program, having these concentrations will offer you better research and learning in the selected specialization.
- Core Course – Needless to mention, different programs have varied core requirements that are mandated for all the students to complete. Make sure you look for a program that offers core courses that will help you in reaching your goals. Special education practicum and special education assessment are the most common core courses in this segment. One can also explore early childhood education certificate online as it will help in starting a career as a teacher.
Online masters degree in special education–Curriculum
Although Special Education Degree Online course follows a unique curriculum, here are some common courses included in every special education degree programs.
- Special Education Assessment – Online special education courses concentrates on teaching appropriate and effective methods to the graduates for assessing the academic and behavioral progress of a group of students with disabilities. It is to be noted that these methods are generally learned alongside the general classroom sessions.
- Early Childhood Disabilities – Special education degree online courses will teach the graduates how to teach children suffering from early childhood disabilities. This is a very sensitive course that teaches compassion and empathy for special students. The coursework also researches how disabilities are affecting these children emotionally, physically, and mentally.
- Foundation of Teaching – Last but most important, this is an education degree. The course will offer a relevant background for studying education.
Special education bachelors degree online
Candidates who possess qualities like patience, compassion, excellent communication skills, strong wrong ethics, love for children, and empathy for their disabilities can excel in this profession. Admission criteria vary as per the university and program. Usually, Special Education Degree Online course work in a special education program requires a minimum GPA, completion of prerequisites, a specific number of credits, personal essay, letters of recommendation, and qualifying exam scores. You can also go through online school counseling programs if you are interested in shaping your career as a school counselor.
Special education online degree – Employment Outlook
You see, online special education degree courses prepare students for a wide range of career opportunities. Special education degree online degree when paired with relevant industry experience attracts special education salaries that tend to grow throughout their journey. Here is the salary range of different special education professions:
- Elementary / preschool Teacher – $40,851 to $57,900
- Secondary Teacher – $42,087 to $61,900
- Teacher Assistant – $22,810 to $25,027
- Art Therapist – $40,954 to $50,868
- Certifies Occupational Therapy Assistant – $45,940 to $50,313
Students, who wish to enhance their skills in the special education online degree domain, can go for higher studies like masters and doctorate programs. A master’s degree holder can earn a higher salary than a bachelor’s degree teacher. Many top universities and institutions in the US offer Special education degree for the interested candidates. Most of the programs take around 4 years to complete.
The Special Education Degree Online offers a fulfilling and rewarding career for talented professionals. This degree leads to a career that is not only challenging but also fosters personal growth. As mentioned earlier, this is an emerging field and its demand is set to rise in the future as well. For further information visit our homepage online schools near me.