Medical assistant scope of practice, the ultimate query in the career of a medical assistant, you might have certain questions in your mind regarding the potential of your career flourishment. You might also be wondering what the field is about, and how a medical school will help you go forward in your life.
Well, you need not worry more as we have come up with every tiny detail you will require in order to launch a successful career in the medical assistance field. So, let’s not waste further time here and get started with the main discussion round.
Medical Assistant scope of practice – Explanation
Scope of practice laws for medical assistants may vary by state. However, in other states, no laws nearly exist regarding medical assistants. Effective completion of a certification program for medical assistants is, of course, a strong predictor of an individual’s ability to practice healthy. Certification programs are available for medical assistants who are both formally trained and trained on the job. Therefore, healthcare providers need to determine their scope of practice by checking their states
In Medical Assistant scope of practice by state, the organizations that provide certifications in such a profession are as follows:
- American Association of Medical Assistants (AAMA), American Medical Technologists (AMT), and
- National Center for Competency Testing (NCCT).
Medical Assistant scope of practice by state – Popularity Growth
Family physicians are hiring more medical assistants (MAs) to help them manage the increasing complexities of patient care and practice management, in the interests of cost-effectiveness and efficiency.
The Bureau of Labor Statistics projects this profession to be the fastest rising of the last decade. And it is expected to witness more accelerated growth in medical assistant scope of practice in terms of popularity during the post-pandemic era.
Physician practitioners are increasingly using medical assistants as replacements to nurses for a number of reasons and with a significant impact on office efficiency.
These medical assistants can help manage patient flow at the front desk, perform certain fact-finding functions, and provide care to the patients.
Medical Assistant scope of practice in California
Although some states, such as California, have laws that clarify the nature of medical assistants’ work, most states do not have such laws or regulations. You may want to consult the council before going forward in your medical assistant career in an attempt to determine what laws or regulations are applicable in your state.
If there is no state-specific regulatory guidance, medical assistant scope of practice in California should be based on education, clinical competence demonstration, and the comfort level of providers who delegate clinical tasks to medical assistants.
Job responsibilities of a Medical Assistant
Medical assistants are usually allowed to conduct the following clinical services under the supervision of a physician, depending on the laws and/or regulations of your state. The following points shows the general job responsibilities of a Medical Assistant.
- Measure vital signs and report them
- List patient information and basic information on current and past conditions
- Arrange instruments and equipment in the physical exam room
- Change wound dressings and cultivate wound
- Take off sutures or staples from minor cutting
- Give patients guidance and information
- Give a single dose of oral medication to a patient, as directed by the physician, to take his or her own under the supervision of the assistant
- Medications are delivered topically, sublingually, vaginally, rectally and by injection
- Prepare patients for examination, including draping, rashing and treatment sites for disinfection
- Gather blood specimens
- Obtain certain specimens using non-invasive techniques, for example, wound cultures
- Easy laboratory and screening tests usually conducted in a medical office, such as urinalysis
- Call the pharmacy for the purpose of prescription orders or refills but only as and when ordered and approved by the doctor
- Prepare electronic prescriptions for the provider to review and send when a policy and procedure have been established for doing so.
Medical assistant skills are required for both clinical and administrative roles, allowing one member of staff to perform the two duties.
Medical Assistant Growth : Tasks that Medical Assistants Need not perform
Apart from all the duties and responsibilities inside medical assistant scope of practice that we have mentioned above, there are also other tasks that a medical assistant need not perform. You must better keep an eye on that list as well. Here are the tasks that medical assistants should not expect to perform:
- Remember that even the highly certified medical assistants are not legally authorized to diagnose symptoms or interpret medical data
- Inject medicinal products into the veins of a patient, unless specifically allowed by state law
- Start, flush or discontinue IVs unless allowed explicitly by State law
- Analyze or view outcomes of studies, for example, blood or skin studies
- Make judgments or take decisions on some form of medical treatment
- Operate laser appliances
Opportunities outside the Medical Assistant scope of practice.
Apart from the medical field of operations, there are also other industries where medical assistants can get lucrative employment opportunities. Well, let’s take a closer look into those scopes:
- Working in reception
- Answering telephone
- Scheduling appointments
- Processing medical billing
- Keeping financial records
- Filing medical charts
- Telephoning prescriptions to pharmacies
- Transcribing dictation
- Sending letters
Medical Assistant salary
In the United States, medical assistants earned a median salary of $33,610 in the year 2018. According to official data, the 25% best-paid medical assistant professionals made $39,190 in the same year, while 25 percent of lowest-paid professionals earned $28,400. This is where it’s important to know your medical assistant growth, the better your medical practice is the best you get paid for.
On a year-on-year basis, an increase in the salary range is being noticed. In 2020, the average salary for American medical assistants is $35,857 as recorded on April 27. However, the overall range of medical assistant salary falls anywhere between $33,055 and $38,718.
Medical Assistant certification costs
If you are seeking a certification on medical Assistant scope of practice program in order to be referred to as a registered medical assistant, you might require to pay any of the following:
- $1,200-$4,200 for completing a course at a training school.
- $2,500-$10,000 for a one-year certificate program in any community college. For more information check out medical assistant certification costs.
Wind Up About Medical assistant scope of practice
Now, we believe that you have got all the essential information that you require to start your career as a medical assistant and get a medical scope of practice. As you can see, there are unlimited employment opportunities in this particular field of operation. All you need is a proper certification from a recognized institution and the necessary skills required to excel at your job.
In case you have any other doubts regarding the profession, feel free to reach out to us right away. Also contact us at onlineschoolsnearme.com for more information.