Medical Assistant Jobs is an allied healthcare professional who helps and assists health professionals in a clinical environment. The demand for Medical Assistant is growing year by year rapidly. There are a lot of opportunities for Medical Assistants in the market. Medical Assistants perform routine and supportive activities in a health set-up.
You will be surprised to know how much work is done behind the scenes in the clinical set-up. There is a whole system behind the doctors to ensure that the procedure is smooth and all the guidelines are followed. In this article, we are going to present a deep insight into the medical office assistant job description and explain medical assistant job duties. Check out all details about medical school.
We will provide you information about the various medical assistant jobs and opportunities available.
Medical Assistant Jobs-A Great demand In The Market
- Medical Assistant gives a supporting hand to the doctors and reduces their burden.
- They not only focus on the clinical part but also provide efficient administrative services.
- A medical assistant is responsible for proper management of personnel, providing the best solution to the queries of the patients, and most importantly, explaining the patients about the policies concerning treatment and fees.
- Medical Assistant Jobs provide a wide range of services ranging from technical, clerical to patient care services under the supervision of nurses.
- In most of the hospitals, they also function as a link between doctors and patients.
- Medical Assistants hold the entire healthcare process together. They serve as a link between patients, Insurance Companies, and medical service providers.
- They are the first point of contact. The doctors do not meet the patients directly. The patients are received warmly by the medical assistant so they can set a positive tone for the whole medical treatment.
- In the current digital age, where record-keeping, medical history, and transactions are deeply linked within cyberspaces. The protection of confidentiality of patients’ records has become a cause for concern. The responsibility of medical assistants has increased a lot.
Medical Assistant Jobs near me – Duties And Responsibilities
The medical assistant job duties are-
- Welcoming patients in clinics or hospitals and boosting their morale. They also book appointments for doctors. They prepare patients for the healthcare visit.
- They verify patient information. They interview the patient, record his/her medical history, and determine their purpose of visit.
- They take preliminary tests. These tests include physical tests, measuring the weight and temperature of the patient, testing sugar levels, and testing blood pressure levels. They also prepare a summary of the patient’s medical history.
- They register patient information and secure patient trust by safeguarding medical records, finishing diagnostic coding, and procedure coding. Coding helps in maintaining the confidentiality of patients and in easing out complex medical reports.
- They give information to patients about the diet and medication, they have to follow.
- They counsel patients by explaining the physician’s instructions about surgery.
- They maintain a safe and secure environment for medical procedures. They ensure that every regulation and procedure is being followed. They also focus on meeting the legal framework.
- They schedule surgeries by making arrangements with the surgical center. They help out the patients in filing admission and consent forms.
- They are responsible for maintaining the inventory and placing the order for the items required in the medical inventory.
- They ensure the proper working of equipment by following instructions, fixing breakdowns, maintaining supplies, ensuring regular maintenance, and calling for patients.
- They have to keep updated with the advancement made in medical sciences, the new laws introduced and the changes happening in the medical circuits around the world through professionals’ publications.
- They are responsible for maintaining the revenue generation by recording billing information of services rendered, completing insurance forms, and ensuring data entry.
So as you can see there are a lot of duties performed by the medical assistants.
Medical Assistant Jobs Qualifications
There is a wide range of Medical Assistant Jobs. These are-
- Podiatry– Podiatry is a medical area that focuses on injuries and medical conditions of the foot. Podiatric medical assistants support the physicians with the care of the feet. This also includes post-surgery care. The average annual salary for a podiatric medical assistant is $52000.
- Ophthalmology Medical Assistant Jobs- They provide assisting duties in eye-care. They are responsible for performing diagnostic testing, assisting the doctor in eye treatments and emergencies, and providing information to the patient. They are capable of looking after eye medications and providing support in eye surgeries.
The average annual salary for an Ophthalmology Medical Assistant falls between $41,000 and $52000.
- Gynecology- Gynecology is a specialized field and requires a lot of knowledge and skills. A medical assistant in this field assists the physician with health procedures related to women. This includes breast tests, minor gynecology surgery, and providing care and measures for pregnant women.
Certification in Medical assistance through the American Association of Medical Assistants is an important aspect looked by the employers in this field. The Gynecology medical assistant average salary ranges from $29000 to $36000.
- Pediatric Medical Assistant– They assist pediatricians in providing medical care to infants, kids, and teenagers under the age of 18. They work in front-office as well as back-office. Knowledge of childhood diseases, immune systems, and routine child care health is a prerequisite of this field.
Pediatric Medical Assistant Jobs are paid around $30,000 a year.
- Chiropractic Medical Assistant-Chiropractors use hands-on treatment. These include many-body caring measures such as hot and cold therapy, body massage, and body manipulation. Medical Assistant Jobs in the chiropractic field perform administrative duties such as making appointments and settling Insurance claims.
They also help the Chiropractors in treatment of patients. Medical Assistants in this field typically earn $20000 a year.
- Medical Administrative assistant– Medical Administrative Assistant job has to work closely with the management team and the administrator of the hospital. They have to take down notes, maintain documents, and focus on policy making and handle the organization.
In this job, there is a far greater learning curve as compared to the other jobs stated above. This job is very demanding. The average annual salary is $25000.
- Nurse– This is a job with huge demand. According to the Bureau of Labor Standards, the employment of Registered Nurses will increase by 15% by 2026. This is a job with a lot of stability. Nurses are responsible for providing care to the patient and giving them medicinal care based on the instructions of the doctor.
They are also capable of giving first aid, taking preliminary tests, etc. The average salary for a Registered Nurse is $32.35 per hour. The salary is determined based on hours in this field.
- Health information Management– There are a lot of opportunities for managers with knowledge of health information systems to ensure that all data is recorded accurately. People employed in this department are required to have strong analytical skills.
The average salary in this department varies from $40000 to $90000 depending upon the position and experience.
- Medical billers and coders– Medical billers are responsible for maintaining accounts and revenue records of hospitals. Medical billing is the preparation of invoices for services rendered. These invoices are given to medical authorities and Insurance companies. They act as a link between patients, service providers, and payers.
Medical coders translate complex medical reports and procedures into codes so that they can be organized appropriately. It requires knowledge of various coding methods.
The pay in this job is reasonably good. The average annual pay varies from $39000 to $62000.
Here were the most popular and well paid medical assistant jobs in the market.
Certified Medical Assistant Jobs-Education required to becoming a Medical Assistant
There is no legal obligation to earn certification to practice as a Medical assistant. However, most employers prefer those candidates that are certified in this field. So, we recommend you to go for a degree in this field to improve your skills and earn some work experience.
- First, you have to search for a training school. Make sure that the school you are choosing has acquired accreditation from either of the following organizations.
- Commission on Accreditation of Allied Health Education Programs (CAAHEP)
- Accrediting Bureau of Health Education Schools (ABHES)
You can opt for the certification course or Associate degree. If you want to quickly enter the medical assistant field then you should go for the certification course. If you want to pursue more education in the future, then go for the Associate degree.
The Medical Assistant Jobs certification course is a short length course. It lasts from 9 to 12 months. This provides hands-on experience.
An Associate degree takes two years to complete. This includes practical training and general education.
Both courses include the following subjects
- First Aid
- Patient Relations
- Medical Law
- Computer Applications
- Medical billing and coding
- Go for an Externship- An externship allows you to get experience in the clinical field before entering the main field. Externship provides an opportunity to work with healthcare professionals, learn important skills, and understand the demands of the job. You can also ask questions from the professionals.
Generally, the institute arranges externship for students in health organizations.
- No matter which certification you have earned, to become a certified Medical Assistant Jobs you have to pass the following exams. Here is a look at different examinations and their respective formats:
- Registered Medical Assistant (RMA) exam- It consists of 210 multiple-choice questions.
- Certified Medical Assistant Exam (CMA)- It consists of 200 multiple-choice questions.
- National Certified Medical Assistant (NCMA) exam- It consists of 150 multiple-choice questions.
- Certified Clinical Medical Assistant (CCMA) exam- It has a 200 multiple-choice questions
Medical Administrative Assistant Jobs – Medical Assistant Skills
The skills required to be successful Medical Assistant are:
- Supply Management- A Medical Assistant Jobs must have good organizing skills so that he can adequately manage the medical equipment inventory. He should also ensure that all equipment is working properly by sending it to maintenance regularly.
- Verbal communication- Good verbal communication is an important requirement in the profession of the medical assistant. The assistant works as a crucial link between management and patients and hence good speaking skills are a must.
- Maintaining a safe, effective environment- A Medical Assistant should have a thorough knowledge regarding the standard operating procedures so that a safe and effective environment can be maintained. He should be well versed in medical law.
- Well versed in Electronic Health Records (EHR)- EHR is an emerging technology with which Medical Assistant Jobs have to work in the future. EHR contains the patient’s medical history, lab results, medications, allergies, and other vital information. The medical service providers can access them anywhere.
EHRs are still being adopted by most of the medical facilities. They will provide a lot of help to the doctors in understanding the patient’s case. It will also provide a clear picture to the patients about their medical condition.
To work with EHRs, you must be well versed about the editing methods in EHR, maintaining them, knowing about the importance of privacy of patient data, and understanding the benefits and drawbacks of EHR systems.
- Organizing Scheduling– The Medical Assistant Jobs should maintain the schedule of every doctor and their patients. In the medical field, scheduling plays a very important role. You have to make sure that the proper schedule is followed by the doctors.
Certified medical assistant jobs-Workload
The workload is immense in medical assistant jobs. You have to work very hard in this field. As it is a part of the medical field, there will be no fixed timings. You can be called upon at any time. In case of emergencies, you might have to work throughout the whole night.
But the pay is good in this field and if you can grind yourself in it, the prospects are very high.
If you are looking to become a Medical Assistant, you are taking the right decision. There are plenty of opportunities for a good salary. It is a great way to contribute to the medical sector.
We presented you with various types of medical assistant jobs and the education you require in this field. Try to develop the skills, we have mentioned and you can go all the way here. If you have any doubts, free feel to contact us. Visit our home page Online schools.