Masters in Teaching Vs Masters in Education is similar to teaching vs. education. While teaching is often confined to the classroom, education is a much wider term which goes beyond the classroom. Both Masters in Teaching and Masters in Education sound very similar but they focus on different aspects of academics. You can also check master degree for some depth knowledge.
Both Masters in Teaching and Masters in Education provide great opportunities for career growth and job security. It is important for us to understand the relevance of these degrees as per your career goal. Choose the one that best matches your career path.
Masters in Teaching Vs Masters in Education: Key Traits
- Masters in Teaching is a graduate program for prospective teachers which focuses on practical skills and subjective knowledge. It is mostly preferred by working teachers to gain knowledge in their subjects and enhance their teaching careers. It is a two years program. master of arts in teaching programs online provides master’s of teaching online with certification
- Masters in Education focuses on the practice of education. It is for aspirants who want to expand their careers beyond the classroom. It emphasizes more on teaching theories and strategies and not on practical skills and subject knowledge. It is good for those looking for jobs as a school principal, education administrator, and curriculum designing Master of arts in education.
- Admission requirements: Masters in Teaching and Masters in Education, both have similar requirements for admission. First and foremost, one should have a bachelor’s degree. At the time of Selection, GPA scores, as well as scores on teaching certification exams (State required), are reviewed. If one does not hold a teaching certificate, he / she should attain a provisional certificate. In most Masters in Teaching and Masters in Education programs, field experience is compulsorily required.
Difference between Masters in Teaching and Masters in Education
- Educational Pathways: Masters in Teaching is the best fit for those who intend to build a career in Classroom Teaching. It could be pursued by both, those who are already employed as Teachers and those who plan to take up teaching roles in the future. Those who are already employed can take up flexible programs which have classes after their school hours. Whereas those who plan to take up a teaching role in the future and supplement the program with content specific courses. Masters in Education is the best fit for those who intend to build a career in roles like educational administration, principal, school counseling, etc. Someone pursuing this degree could be a teacher or could be working in related fields.
- Curriculum: The basic difference between Masters in Teaching and Masters in Education courses is clearly their purpose. Masters in Teaching, apart from classes in the subject area also includes classes like Classroom Management, Theories, Pedagogy, Methods and classroom usage of these methods. Masters in Education includes educational theories and Policies apart from an area of specialization. The areas of specialization could be like educational leadership, curriculum and design, school counseling, school administration, and curriculum and instruction.
- Instructional Differences: Masters in Teaching vs Masters in Education have instructional differences also. While masters in teaching is used for instruction and changing subject areas whereas masters in education is used for developing instructional tools and instructing teachers.
- Types of Jobs and Salaries: Masters in Education offers a wider range of job opportunities compared to Masters in Teaching. Masters in Teaching focuses on teaching career only, and Masters in Education has a broader reach and provide many career options in education-related fields and with better-paying jobs.
This is a brief overview of the differences in masters in teaching vs education. For more information on the subject, please, fill out our contact form given below.
To know more in details about Masters in Teaching Vs Masters in Education, kindly visit our homepage online school and know in details.