How long does it take to donate plasma? depends on many factors. Let us first understand the complete process of Plasma donation. A process called plasmapheresis is carried out to collect plasma from blood, it is separated from blood using plasmapheresis machine. After collecting plasma, the blood is returned to the donor. One can also read medical school near me for more details.
How long does it take to donate plasma – Basic concept
The process of plasmapheresis takes around 45 minutes. In the beginning whole blood is taken from the arm of the donor into a centrifugal machine that spins and separates the plasma from the blood. This plasma is collected into a bottle and rest of the blood is then returned to the donor’s body. We will know about Plasma donation process, Donating plasma requirements, Plasma donation side effects etc. in this article.
Plasma donation process – Know actually how long does it take to donate plasma
The entire process may take 90 mins and if you are a first-time donor then 120 mins. When a donor goes to a plasma collection center for donation, he is required to submit certain documents like a valid identity, proof of residence and proof of social security number.
After the paperwork is done, medical staff reviews the medical history of the donor and conduct a physical examination to ensure that the donor is fit to donate plasma. Once the donor is declared fit the actual process starts. After the donation process is complete, the donor is given fluids and kept under observation to check if there are any side effects though plasma donation is a safe process. How long does it take to donate plasma? also depends on the physical health of the donor.
Donating plasma requirements – Prerequisites for Plasma Donation and time gap between plasma donations
Safety of the donor and the therapy is very important when we talk about plasma donation. Therefore there are certain requirement s to fulfill before a person qualifies as a donor.
- The donor should be between the age of 18 and 66
- He should weigh at least 110 pounds
- He should be in good health
- He or she should not have done body piercing or permanent makeup in the past 12 months
- He shouldn’t have undergone any surgery in the past 12 months
- The donor should inform the doctor if he is taking any medicines or under treatment for a medical condition.
- The donor should follow a diet high in protein and low in fat
- The donor should drink plenty of fluids to keep hydrated before plasma donation.
- Avoid alcohol, caffeine, and smoking on the day of donation
- A repeat donor is allowed to donate 2 times in 7 days with 48 hrs of the gap between each donation
Plasma donation side effects
Plasma donation is a safe process but can cause minor side effects although these side effects are rare.
- Dehydration after plasma donation may occur because plasma contains a lot of water. Only a few people experience dehydration, and it is not severe.
- Dizziness and lightheadedness may occur because plasma is rich in salts and nutrients. Losing these substances may result in electrolyte imbalance.
- Mild fatigue is also a common side effect because of loss of salts
- Citrate reaction is a serious but rare side effect of plasma donation. The anticoagulant infused into the blood while returning to the donor may bind with the calcium molecules and cause numbness and muscle twitching.
If any of the above-given side effects are experienced, it may add up to how long it takes to donate plasma. But with proper care, these can be easily taken care of. These can be even avoided if precautions are taken. So this is all that decides how long it takes to donate plasma. For more information fill the following form. Keep reading our another articles at Online college Near me for more info and knowledge.