What Is A High School Degree Called?
Have you ever heard of the term ‘online high school’? Are you wondering whether they are the right option for you? Are online high schools just an internet scam or a flexible way of obtaining high school diplomas? If you’re looking for answers to all these questions, then you’re on the right page.
Accredited online high schools are actually a respective and rewarding alternative to the traditional brick and mortar schools. They are a great option for your teen child who needs an efficient high school program that is quite different from the traditional high school settings. As a matter of fact, online high schools offer the right opportunity for the students to complete their high school curriculum and coursework in a variety of formats. To put it simply, the learners can easily access their online classes from anywhere and at any time. All they need to have is a proper internet connection and a working computer system.
With its main objective to meet the diverse academic needs and requirements of the students and help them to thrive, online high schools could really be the best option for your child. Read on to learn more about online high schools, the pros and cons of attending one, and decide whether enrolling in an online high school is the right option for you.
Introduction to Online High Schools
As the name suggests, an online high school is a virtual academic program that helps the students to take their classes online and earn high school certificates. Even though most of these classes are held online, there are certain occasions when the students are required to visit any particular location or a testing center in order to take their tests and in-hand assignments. It is also important for you to know that most academic programs that are included in the online high school diploma are solely online and are affiliated by the concerned academic authorities.
Once you enroll in an online high school, then you can either choose to earn your high school diploma online or you can take part in a few online classes to support your regular high school course program. However, before you enroll in an online high school diploma course, it is imperative that you learn about the different types of online high schools.
- Public Schools – these educational settings are basically government funded and are usually accredited. The best thing about these public schools is that they are available for free to all the minor residents in the state as well as local districts. The high school curriculum and coursework that is followed here at public schools is very much similar to that of traditional high schools. It is important for you to know that public online high schools are required to follow certain strict guidelines in order to receive funding and this is why they often have fewer academic course offerings for the students.
- Private Online High Schools – It is one of the most popular and rapidly growing groups of online high schools. Private online high schools are not regulated by other academic groups and hence, the costs and quality of their high school courses and other academic programs may vary widely. Moreover, private online schools offer a variety of classes to their enrolled students. You can also enroll with specialized online private schools that primarily focus on science, math, and other crucial subjects.
- Online Charter Schools – Online charter schools are another popular form of online high schools and they have the same characteristics as online high schools. The best thing about online charter schools is that they make the best use of innovative, as well as non-traditional teaching methods, in order to offer a variety of classes to the high school students.
- University High Schools – These online high schools are sponsored and affiliated by a reputed college or university. These online high schools usually allow the learners to obtain dual high school, as well as better college credits for the attended classes. Even though university high schools offer high quality educational classes and course programs to the students, they are quite expensive to attend.
Who Can Attend Online High Schools?
Are you wondering about the people who decide to pursue their high school online? Well, I would like to bring this to your knowledge that online high schools are meant for both teenagers and adults. If anyone wants to earn a high school diploma online, then he or she can easily opt for online high school course programs. The most common type of people who usually prefer enrolling in online high schools includes:
- Home schooled learners who are willing to supplement their edification.
- Adults who are looking forward to restarting their classes after being out of school for many years.
- Teenagers who prefer to take online classes or students who are unable to be present at traditional high school classes.
- International learners who are interested in taking high school course programs in the country where they wish to attend college.
- Advanced scholars who are looking towards taking more rigorous high school course programs than their regular high school course.
Thus, it is evident that people choose to pursue online high schools for numerous reasons. So, if you’re also willing to enhance your learning and take on an additional course program to supplement your high school education, then choosing the best online high school near me could be a wise decision. Now, let’s learn about the interesting benefits and drawbacks of online high schools.
Benefits of Online High School
- Flexible Schedule
Most students prefer online high schools over traditional academic settings because of the maximum flexibility that they offer. Online high schools allow the students to attend classes and complete their curriculum as per their convenience. This benefit of online high schools is extremely beneficial for all those teenagers, students, and adults who are trying to balance their high-school education with other responsibilities or a job. So, if ever you want to attend your course classes during the evenings, then online high schools can actually make it possible for you.
Another important benefit of online high schools is that they allow the students to learn at their own pace. This feature is really beneficial for all those students who wish to learn at a slower pace in order to ensure they understand the topic completely. Similarly, online high schools are also great for all those individuals who are looking forward to earning their high school degree ahead of schedule and want to cover their course program at a faster pace. The flexible schedules of online high schools can also benefit aspirants who travel frequently or are unable to attend traditional high schools regularly.
- Multiple Class Options
It is important for you to know that online high schools generally offer more class options than the traditional high schools. It’s because online high schools are not restricted by the number of teachers or classrooms, and hence, it eventually benefits the students to take specific classes which their regular high schools usually don’t offer. Moreover, there are online high schools that offer advanced specialization classes in order to help students hone their knowledge and skills.
Another crucial feature of the online high schools is that they give the opportunity to the students to tailor their high school coursework according to their needs and interests. This is also a great benefit for home schooled aspirants. Taking an online high school course program will eventually help you to learn about different complex subjects like advanced math. Consequently, online high schools can proffer you the benefit of a well-rounded education with a diverse range of course and class options.
- No Typical School Environment
Some students choose to pursue high schools online because they don’t want to attend or don’t enjoy traditional school settings. There may be several reasons behind it like trouble learning in a typical classroom environment, difficulties with classmates, etc. As a matter of fact, attending online high schools often results in fewer disturbances and disruptions. When you sit in front of your web-connected computer to work on your online high school classes, you can easily devote your complete attention to learning and end up doing well in your course program.
Is Online High School Right For You?
With the rise of technology, virtual classes have also become immensely popular. However, there is no specific answer to whether or not online schools and course programs are right for you. So, before enrolling in a top-rated online high school, make sure to follow the following three steps in order to make the right decision.
- Think about your reasons to pursue online high-schooling – The very first question you need to ask yourself before enrolling in an online high school program is why you want to attend online high school classes. Is it the only possible way to fit high school classes into your schedule? It could also be possible that you want to finish your high school course early. No matter what your reason is, make sure to be aware of your reasons to attend an online high school because it will eventually help you to look forward towards the academic benefits that you want.
- Research about potential online high schools – Well, it is the most important step while selecting the right online school for your high-school education. It is a well-known fact that online high schools are growing rapidly and therefore, choosing the best one could be a little daunting or overwhelming. So, make sure to ask these following questions to yourself for each online high school you’re interested in.
- Is it accredited?
- What is its teacher-classmate interaction ratio?
- How much will it cost?
- What classes do they offer?
- How will you receive grades for different subjects?
- How many credits to graduate high school?
- How much time is required to complete high school?
Make sure to find answers to all these questions before deciding on the right online high school for you. In case you’re facing any difficulty, you can consider reading online reviews from past students in order to learn about different online schools.
4 Crucial Things Your Online High School Must Have
The complete diversity of online high schools means that there are specific approaches to student development, curriculum and coursework, and academic instructions. This is why it is extremely important that you evaluate the high school course programs according to your goals and other academic requirements. Well, there are a few significant points that can influence the overall quality of online high schools. Some of them are listed below.
- Accreditation – The main objective of accreditation is to make sure online high schools are fulfilling the satisfactory standards of education. In addition to this, most colleges admit only those students who have passed their high schools from accredited online high schools.
- Credit Transfers – Credit transfers are significantly important for all those students who are transferring into or out of online course programs. It is important for you to earn course credits from an accredited online school in order to gain admission in reputed academic institutions.
- Academic Support Services – Academic support is very essential to the students for positive academic outcomes. Therefore, it is imperative that online high schools offer adequate academic support to their enrolled learners, along with enhancing their learning system.
- Quality Instructors – just like in traditional brick-and-mortar school settings, the quality of education in online high schools is determined by its teachers and instructors. Therefore, it is imperative that you review different online high schools and research about the education and professional backgrounds of their teachers.
The Bottom Line
Online high schools are really a great option for all those individuals who need flexible schedules to finish their high school education. Thus, it is important that you research multiple schools and find out the right school that best suits your needs.
It is possible for you to face difficulty while selecting the right online high school for you. So, you can consider taking a free online course before enrolling in an online high school. For more information, you can contact us and speak with our educational experts to learn more about online high schools.