Georgetown Medical School is one of the oldest medical schools within the country. It is more commonly known as Georgetown University Medical School. Founded in 1851, it has been a pillar of excellence over the last 150 or so years. Located on Reservoir Road, Georgetown, Washington D.C., the school is situated in the heart of the country. You can get all your desire information about med school.
Georgetown Medical School- Career Prospects
Throughout its existence, The School has been at the forefront of medical research and advancements. Even today, it stands tied at a respectable 44th position in the list of best medical schools and number 87 for best medical schools for primary care. But what makes it such a behemoth in the medical schools’ fraternity?
Well, that is what we are here to discuss today. Apart from that, we will also be looking into a few other things such as Georgetown Medical School Cost, The School Prerequisite courses, etc. And since we are talking about the colored history of the school, it makes sense to talk about Georgetown university medical School accreditation as well. Lets have a look at other details of how to become a certified medical assistant
With all of that being said, let us get right to it.
Georgetown Medical School Prerequisite Courses
The School has several courses on offer. These courses vary from simple undergraduate programs to doctorates. Plus, each course has many sub-courses with specialization as well. So with that being said, here is an exhaustive list of Georgetown Medical School prerequisite courses on offer –
- M.D. and Ph.D.
- M.D. with M.B.A.
- M.D. with M.P.H.
- M.D. with M.S.
- M.D. with M.A.L.S.
- M.D. with M.A.
- M.D. with Ph.D. in Philosophy
As you can see, there is quite a lot of variation on offer at Georgetown university medical school. This is because it is partnered with many other schools within the province which allows it to offer a number of these offbeat courses together. To give you a better example of this, here are a few examples –
- M.D. with M.B.A. – To provide this combination, the school has partnered with Georgetown’s McDonough School of Business.
- M.D. with M.P.H. – To provide for this combination of courses, Georgetown medical school has partnered with John Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health
- M.D. with M.S. – This combination can be availed in any Georgetown Biomedical Graduate Education Master’s program
- M.D. with M.A.L.S. – For this combination, the medical school has partnered with Georgetown’s School of Continuing Studies
- M.D. with M.A. – In this combination, you can get an M.A. in philosophy through the school’s partnership with Georgetown’s Department of Philosophy.
- M.D. with Ph.D. in Philosophy – This combination too can be availed through the school’s partnership with Georgetown’s Department of Philosophy
So as you can see, there are several other side courses that you can apply for and get degrees in while being enrolled with GMS. This amount of flexibility and customization is what has made the school such a desirable place to study medicine in. You can also visit medical coding academy
Now apart from the dual degree programs, the core programs on offer at Georgetown Medical School are as follows –
- Doctor of Medicine (M.D.) programs
- Master’s Degree program
- Special Master’s program in Physiology
- Doctoral Degree programs
Apart from these, there are many special programs on offer as well –
- Georgetown Experimental Medical School
- Early Assurance Program
- Georgetown Summer Medical Institute
To give you a better view of these special courses, here is a brief outline of everything that will happen in them –
- Georgetown Experimental Medical School –
This is a one year, non-degree, a post-baccalaureate program for citizens of the United States of America only. In this program, the students will be able to complete classes from the actual first-year course of a medical school course. Plus, this is one of the courses that are particularly advantageous for disadvantaged students.
All in all, the GEMS program is one of the best programs if you are looking to branch out into medicine without committing to one field in particular. So if you are someone looking to branch out or are from a disadvantaged background, then this is the course for you.
- Early Assurance Program –
This is a program specifically created for the residents of Georgetown currently in undergraduate programs. Through this program, students who have excelled in their sophomore year and wish to enter Georgetown Medical School will be given admission earlier.
To avail the benefits of this program, one has to apply through their school or college and contact the Dean of their respective place of education. This program usually begins around January of the sophomore year and the students should be enrolled within Georgetown University for their final semester or some affiliate of it.
- Georgetown Summer Medical Institute –
The Georgetown Summer Medical Institute is a program created specifically for students looking to pick up some extra credits or recover lost credits throughout a summer. It typically runs from June 15th to July 24th. So if you want to pick up extra credits or make up for lost ones, this is the course for you.
One thing to note here is that despite the options for all of Georgetown medical school courses, there is one option that is curiously missing. That option is the ability to study online. This option is absent because of the practical nature of the medical course. Since most of the knowledge is imparted and finessed through practical education and experience, there is no online substitute for either.
With that being said, we believe we have given you an exhaustive list of the courses on offer. For individual course specialization, you will need to ask the college about it for the availability of the course. However, the more common and popular ones are readily available. So with that in mind, let us talk about the next logical thing one might ask about. You can also check the difference of medical assistant vs cna.
Georgetown Medical School Cost
The current layout of the school cost is as follows –
- Tuition fee – 55,000 USD per year on average
- Fees –
- For the first year – 6,100 USD
- For the second year – 6,400 USD
- For third and fourth years – 10,000 USD per year
- Health insurance – 3,200 USD per year. However, in case the student has private health insurance, they can waive this cost. This is mandatory because of the laws governing the state of Colombia which make it mandatory for students to have health insurance.
- Books and supplies for the Georgetown Medical School Cost–
- For first and second year – 500 USD per year
- For the third year – 800 USD
- For the fourth year – 1,700 USD
- Equipment –
- For the first year – 300 USD
- For the second year – 500 USD
- For third and fourth years – 800 USD
There are many other miscellaneous fees involved as well. The total cost of education comes at around 100,000 USD per year. However, there are a few caveats to this total amount. For starters, if the student is enrolled in the GEMS program, then their Georgetown medical school Cost for the first year will be 54,000 USD on average.
In case the students have graduated from the SMP program, then their tuition fee for the first year will be around 57,000 USD on average. So as you can see, there is a slight variation in the cost of education based on the programs one is opting for.
Apart from the main M.D. program, the cost of the Ph.D. program will once again vary based on the course one is opting for. If the course in question is a more mainstream one, then the chances are that the cost of education will be lower. Conversely, in case the students opt for more obscure programs, the chances are that it will cost more.
However, it is also worth mentioning that the costs can skyrocket due to increased demand. On the other hand, the costs can nosedive as well due to little demand. So to cut it short, ask the college administration about the costs before applying. The costs can change at the last minute.
Financial aid programs
From the above mentioned costs, it is fairly obvious that the cost of education at Georgetown Medical School is pretty steep. As a result, it stands to reason that not everyone can afford it outright. However, there are several provisions in place through which several less fortunate pupils can find means to educate themselves at the college.
To begin, GMS in itself offers several institutional scholarships and loans to its students. The eligibility criterion for these funds is structured solely around the economic condition of the student in question. The loan fund in question is generated through the college’s General Fund, alumni contributions, and several philanthropic foundations affiliated with the college.
In order to avail of these loans and scholarships, the student in question must be a citizen of the United States of America. Plus, they shouldn’t have missed their previous loan’s repayment dates amongst other things. Apart from Georgetown medical school, the student will also have to provide the authorities with a complete history of the family’s finances. The key thing to note here is that students can apply for it free of cost.
Another option that is available for the students is the unsubsidized Federal Direct Stanford Loan program. The terms of this loan are as follows –
- Students can avail up to 42,700 USD per year. There will be additional funds provided in light of the additional costs that will be incurred during the third and fourth years.
- The interest rate will be charged from the point of the loan being disbursed to the point of full repayment of the loan. The interest can be paid off at any given point of time or can be capitalized upon deferment as a repayment.
- There is a 6 month grace period upon graduating from the medical school in order for the student to find a job.
- The interest rate is capped at 4.30% per annum for the amount disbursed to the student.
- A student can borrow up to 224,000 USD throughout the course of their education.
There are a number of other ways through which the students can reduce their financial burden. However, these loans and scholarships are subject to the availability of funds. So chances of it falling through and ruining your plans are there. Another thing to note about these programs is that these are subject to revision.
So if you are availing a loan or a scholarship through one of these means, then do be sure to check the conditions being set up on you. For more information about these, it is advisable that you look them up that Georgetown medical school website itself. It will give you a clearer picture of everything there is to know about these terms and conditions.
The medical school has the following accreditations –
- Liaison Committee on Medical Education (LCME)
- Accreditation Commission of Midwifery Education (ACME)
- Commission on Accreditation of Healthcare Management Education (CAHME)
- Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education
- Council on Accreditation of Nurse Anesthesia Educational Programs
- Middle States Commission on Higher Education
So as you can see, the school has all the relevant accreditation required to function. These accreditations mean that the school is at the pinnacle of both its course material and research. So if you are looking for the best possible higher education, then this school has the organizational backing to show for it.
Georgetown Medical School Application
In order to apply with the school, there are a number of ways through which one can apply. However, due to the current global pandemic, the school is only accepting online applications. Based on the criterion set for eligibility, students will be selected and called up for interviews. The interviews, similar to the online application process, will be conducted online, on Zoom.
To apply, visit the American Medical Application Service (AMAS) and fill in your primary application. Once that has been accepted, you will be sent a secondary application form. After that, there will be a number of interviews and other formalities that will need to be filled.
One thing to note here is that the admission process and criterion is subject to change without any notice. So it is strongly advised that you visit the Guide to the Application section of the Georgetown medical school website before applying. Also, make sure that you submit your applications well before the deadlines. In case they are submitted after the allotted deadline, they will be rejected.
Here are a few deadlines for the programs on offer for you to keep in mind –
- M.D. Deadlines –
- 2nd November – AMCAS application
- 16th November – Transcripts received by AMCAS
- 15th December – Secondary application, submission of the 130 USD application fee, recommendation letters, etc.
- 30th April – 500 USD deposit.
Keep in mind that any deposit made till 30th April is refundable. However, any deposit made after that is nonrefundable. So do be sure to operate within the medical school deadlines given in order to avoid any unnecessary overcharge or loss of deposits etc.
- M.D./Ph.D. Deadlines –
- 2nd November – AMCAS application
- 16th November – Transcripts received by AMCAS
- 27th November – Secondary application with 130 USD application fee, recommendation letters, etc.
All the timings and dates will be followed according to Eastern Standard Time. Also, let us reiterate this once again, there will be no exceptions granted during the admission process. So try to make sure that you are applying well within the deadlines. Also, do keep in mind that 130 USD fee being charged is not refundable. You may also visit our site for best and cheap online colleges
Another thing worth keeping in mind is that the college has a rolling admissions policy. So make sure that you have all the necessary paperwork and documents ready before applying for the college. Once you have compiled all the necessary documents, you will get an email saying your application is ready for screening. So make sure to submit your application and documents at the earliest possible.
Georgetown Medical School Requirements
Eligibility criteria –
The college has a strict non-discrimination policy. So during the evaluation process for the applications, only those applications will be considered which meet the standard set by the college. To give you a brief idea of the things that will be considered during the medical school application process, here is a list –
- Application essays written for AMCAS and Secondary application
- Clinical experience
- Services provided
- Research done
- MCAT score (ideally higher than 125)
- Undergraduate GPA (ideally higher than 3.6 in BCPM)
- Letters of recommendation (minimum 1 and maximum 5)
In order to gain a competitive edge, it is advisable that the student has experience as a shadow surgeon or medical field trips or community EMS, etc. The medical school requirements experiences in professional fields will hold them in good stead. However, do keep in mind that the volunteer work done in clinics, etc. will be treated as volunteer work and not as professional experience. You can also explore respiratory therapist degree
Apart from these, the general prerequisites for applying for the courses are as follows –
- Academic Degree of at least 90 credit hours of course
- General Biology with lab for 1 year (8 semester hours)
- General chemistry with lab for 1 year (8 semester hours)
- Organic chemistry with 1 lab for 1 year (8 semester hours)
- Physics with lab for 1 year (8 semester hours)
- Mathematics at the college level for 1 year. Calculus is not mandatory and statistics is acceptable.
There are a number of other courses that one can have a background in which will aid them during the duration of their Georgetown medical school prerequisite courses. Here is a quick list of a few of them that are acceptable –
- Computer science
- Cellular physiology
- Quantitative analysis
- Physical chemistry
- Social sciences
- Behavioral sciences
Do keep in mind that georgetown medical school requirements courses are acceptable only if they are completed within the last 5 years. In case the duration is longer, then the student must have enrolled in a higher education course within the same field. Otherwise, the course completion will not be considered during the admission process. One can also collect information about low-cost medical coding and billing online program
Georgetown Medical School Reviews
The overwhelming reviews for the medical school are positive in nature. This is also reflected in the aforementioned standing of the school in the fields of research and medicine. Apart from being academically excellent, the school also has a state of the art facilities available for its students. This allows the students to have the best equipment available to them during the duration of their course.
The Georgetown medical school also draws heavy praise for its sprawling campus and impeccable faculties. The faculty in particular is quite important as it means that the students are provided with the best possible education and guidance during their formative years. And when you couple this with the brilliant campus and its electric atmosphere, you have the ideal studying environment.
The only alleged drawback of the college is the high costs incurred during the course of your degree. These costs can be mitigated with the aforementioned scholarship and loans, however, even then the costs won’t be completely covered and the student will have to provide for about half of it. So there is that to consider as well before applying.
Finally, to sum it all up, the medical school in question has built itself quite a name over the last 150 or so years. The school has garnered quite a good reputation due to its amazing faculty, campus, and lab facilities. However, do keep in mind that in case you want to avail these top of the line facilities, you will have to have top-notch grades and pay the top dollar as well.
So, in case you want to study at Georgetown Medical School, then by all means you should go for it. It is one of the best medical schools out there. However, do keep in mind if you can or cannot afford it. And in case you have any more questions regarding the same, feel free to ask us. After all, we are here for you! To know more in details about the medical school, kindly visit our online schools near me website.