Florida Virtual School is an online learning platform that aims to provide affordable and complete education to its applicants. The school offers online classes from elementary school to high school. In order to achieve this, they have over 190 courses available for their students. Plus, the school has an online learning community to further help everyone involved. Check out all details about high school near me.
The school was set up with the mission to provide quality and affordable education to its students. Over the course of the years, it has stood firm by these convictions and has delivered on this promise. It has a good graduation rate with a number of great success stories. However, those stories are for some other day.
But before we talk about Florida Virtual School, let us first talk about online schooling as a whole.
Florida Virtual School-Advantages
Online schooling has a whole host of advantages over its more traditional counterparts. Since we cannot possibly go over all of them, we will be listing the more important ones –
- Credit recovery
- Accelerated learning
These are some of the advantages that online learning has over its traditional counterparts. To further stress upon it, online schooling allows people with health, time, financial or other constraints to have access to quality education.
Plus, with the flexibility offered, one can often make their own hours. This results in an optimal learning experience because we believe that one should ask to be educated rather than being forced to.
So all in all, with the passage of time, online schooling will eventually become even more mainstream. Till the time it doesn’t, keep these advantages in mind if you are in a position where you have to decide between it and its more traditional counterparts. Florida Virtual school provides lots of benefit as compared to traditional school. If you want comprehensive education programs, excellent faculty, and skill development at affordable rates, you can visit here Michigan virtual school.
Now that we have touched upon this, let us now go back to talking about Virtual School.
Florida Virtual School Courses-
The Virtual School offers more than 190 course options to its students. These courses can be found in it’s login page. Florida Virtual School Courses are divided into 4 broad categories –
- Flex courses
- Full time courses
- Homeschool courses
- Global school courses
- County school courses
All of these courses can be further categorized into 3 categories –
- High school
- Middle school
- Elementary school
All the courses offered here are –
- NCAA approved
- Have an option for honors
- Eligible for Advanced Placement courses
Now that we have given you an overview of the courses, let us now take an in-depth view of the courses being offered in Florida Virtual School .
Florida virtual school flex
- flex courses –
florida virtual school Flex courses allow for the most amount of customization possible in an online course. You can tailor them as per your needs and wants. There are no mandatory hours. You can sit and study whenever and wherever you want.
For students in the elementary grades, the florida virtual school Flex course offers a great variety of subjects along with 24*7 instructor support. All the instructors are certified teachers. So whatever query you might have, it is getting addressed sooner rather than later.
As far as middle school and high school students are concerned, there are 190 courses on offer. Yes, 190. These courses can be taken up at any given time and can be completed as per your convenience.
These courses are available all year long and have provisions for –
- 24*7 access
- Accelerated learning
- Extra time
- Industry certification
The cherry on top of florida virtual school Flex courses that this is free for all Florida students. One thing to note however is that a diploma with honors is currently unavailable in this program. In case you want to apply for that, we recommend you opt for their full time courses.
There are other segment of courese as explained below.
- Full time courses
Full time courses are a mix of both worlds. They allow for some flexibility but they also follow a structure. The main objective of this course is to offer as close an experience as possible to traditional schooling. This allows for a comprehensive and full time learning experience for the students.
Here, the students will be enrolling in the standard 6 courses a year program which they will have 180 days to complete from August to June. But since the course is an online course, the students can set their own pace as long as they are able to meet the allotted time frame. One may also search Memphis virtual school for more information.
This program has provisions for –
- Dual enrollment
- Options for core, electives, APs, specials and honors programs
- High school diploma
- Student clubs and provisions
The best thing about this course is that it allows for online clubs and in person activities. This goes a long way in providing a holistic education for the students. This program too is free of cost for all Florida state residents.
- Home school
Homeschool is quite similar to Flex school. However, there are a few marked differences here. Here, the parents are in charge of the student’s learning and education as a whole. This program is basically to supplement their ward’s educational endeavors.
Please keep in mind to check all the minimum requirements that you will have to fulfill on the Florida Department of Education website. It will provide you with all the information that you will need about education statuettes and annual evaluation.
In case you are new to homeschooling, then you can find some great tips and guidelines on the Florida Virtual School Course Progression Guides. And in case your ward needs some help, you can always enlist the school teachers to help you and your ward.
There are about 200 courses in this program and all of them are once again free for Florida residents.
- Global school
If you are someone looking to enroll in the Florida virtual school but are not a resident of the state of Florida, then Global School is just the thing for you. This schooling option is recognized in all the states of the United States of America and in more than 65 countries worldwide.
In this program, you will have access to more than 180 courses. All of these courses are NCAA certified and are available 24*7. So you can study them as per your own convenience and comfort.
The education that you will be receiving here will be the same as any other student in an accredited school within the United States of America. So keep in mind that your performance is also expected to meet the country’s standards.
Apart from this, there is one more thing that you should keep in mind. Since Florida Virtual school course is available only for non-residents of the state of Florida, the tuition fee will be charged from you. We will talk more about it later.
- County school
County school is an initiative by FLVS wherein they collaborate with the school districts in the state of Florida. Herein, you can avail more than 190 courses for free.
There are a great many benefits to this program. The first and foremost being that you can learn from the teachers employed by your local district schools. Plus, you can start and finish the semester as per your convenience. You can also opt for the full time course provisions here as well as the summer school ones. You can visit Indiana virtual school to know further about virtual schools.
Overall, this program has the provisions for –
- Core, electives, Honors and Advanced Placement programs
- Course credit recovery
- Industry certification
- Accelerated learning
- Flexible online graduation requirements
With this, we believe that we have told you all there is to know about the courses offered by the school. In case of any further inquiries, you can either reach out to us or to the school authorities.
So as you can see, these courses will provide you with the perfect platform that you will need in order to jumpstart your career or college life. Plus, the school only employs Florida certified teachers so you can rest assured that you will be getting quality education only. On top of that, they also have counselors to help you make any decision you might want to make.
Now, to wrap it up, the virtual school offers a whole host of programs. You can enroll for them through your Florida Virtual School login. We will be telling you all about the enrollment process in just a while. However, before we do that, there are still a few things that we need to inform you about.
Virtual School Florida- Accreditation
All the courses enlisted by the school are properly accredited. The school has the following accreditations –
- Southern Association of Colleges and Schools and Cognia
- Florida education board
So as you can see, the school has all the necessary certifications required. As a result, the courses offered are recognized worldwide. So rest assured, you will not be wasting either your money or your time. The Virtual School Florida is a legitimate one unlike a lot of others operating out there. Some of which often end up being an elaborate scam.
Florida Virtual School Cost : Professional Cost
Now that we have talked about the courses and the accreditations, let us now talk about money and in particular Florida Virtual School cost.
For the most part, the school has tried and successfully managed to keep the cost affordable. For the residents of the state of Florida, the cost comes up to a big fat 0 in terms of the tuition fee. There are a few administrative fees involved though. Here is a breakdown of the Cost –
- Free for all students living within the state of Florida
- For Global school, the pricing is as follows –
- High school (includes honors)
- Tier 1 – 475 USD per semester
- Tier 2 – 400 USD per semester
- Tier 3 – 325 USD per semester
- Middle school
- Tier 1 – 475 USD per semester
- Tier 2 – 400 USD per semester
- Tier 3 – 325 USD per semester
Please keep in mind that all the courses are subject to availability and prices can change at any given time. So if you are someone who is interested in enrolling with the school, then we would recommend that you look at the Florida Virtual School cost on their official website before applying.
Another thing to keep in mind is that in case you move out of Florida, you will have to seek a transfer from your current program to the global school. As a result, you will no longer be eligible for free tuition. The cost incurred will be paid for by the student. This cost will be calculated based on the amount of course work left. One can also search information about free online public high school.
ENROLLMENT TERMINATION POLICY
The best thing about this virtual school is its dedication and commitment to providing quality education to its students. However, there are times when the students are not able to adhere to the schedule set by the Florida virtual school or unable to cope with the workload. In such cases, the following steps shall be taken by the school –
- In the case of 0 progress without any prior arrangements, the student shall be contacted by their instructor. The instructor will then come up with a plan to reintegrate the student within the course.
- The family of the student shall also be informed about the situation. The instructor along with the student and the parents will formulate a plan in order to ensure course completion. This is mainly done to keep all the parties involved and ensure student commitment.
- In case the teacher is unable to contact the student or the student is unable to adhere to the plan created by the instructor, the Florida virtual school can strike off the student’s name. This is more commonly known as the administrative removal of the student. The decision will be made by the school administration and it will be final and binding.
DROP OUT AND REFUND POLICY
Any student can drop out of a course at any given time during the semester. In order to drop out voluntarily rather than risk administrative termination, the student in question is advised to inform the administration as soon as possible. Do keep in mind to drop out before the last week of the semester, before the exams.
Another thing to keep in mind is that a student whose enrollment is terminated through administrative action is ineligible for a refund.
The Florida Virtual School cost for the residents of the state of Florida is absolutely 0 when it comes to the tuition fee. As a result, they are ineligible for a refund.
For the students enrolled in the global school program, they are eligible for a refund provided they apply for termination within 14 days of enrollment in the course. The student shall be eligible for a full refund of their tuition fee minus a $75 administrative charge. In case the student is not in any active segment, then the administrative fee won’t be charged as well.
There are a few things that one should keep in mind here.
- All refunds will be processed within 10 business days
- The refunded amount will be added to the account through which the initial payment was made.
- It may take several days for the refunded amount to appear in your account.
Please do keep in mind that the following students will not be eligible for a refund –
- Students terminated through the administrative ruling.
- Students reapplying in a different course.
Florida Virtual School Enrollment Process :
The Florida Virtual School enrollment process can get a little tricky sometimes. However, with us in your corner, this isn’t something you should worry about. So without further ado, let us get started.
Florida virtual school login
- For students living within the state of Florida –
- Head over to their website and go to the Florida Virtual School login.
- Over there, you will see an option to either create a new account or sign in using your existing Florida Virtual School login. In case you are an existing student, you need not create a new login if you want to apply for a different course.
- Once you have selected the option to sign up, you will be redirected to a new page. There, you will have to select your place of residence.
- Select the state of Florida option and then select your county.
- Once you have done that, you will be asked about the course for which you want to apply.
- After doing this, you will be rerouted to a new page. Here, you will be asked about your education level. If you are looking for a high school diploma with honors, select that option.
- Now that you have done that, select the courses you want to take up in the pursuit of your degree. Once you have done that, you will be presented with the available courses. Select the courses you want to take.
- Upon doing this, you will be taken to a new page. Here, you will be asked about the number of semesters you want to enroll for and the date on which you would like to start your course.
- Once you have done that, select the virtual school in which you want to enroll in. In case your county doesn’t support or have a virtual school, you will be forced to select Florida Virtual School.
- After you have done the aforementioned, you will be rerouted to yet another new page. Here, you will be asked a few questions and you have to tick the relevant boxes. They are all general questions such as how did you hear about them etc.
- After all this, you will finally be rerouted back to the Florida Virtual School login page. Here, you will now be asked to create your own account. Once you have done that you will be asked to provide a few documents (more on that later).
- Once you have uploaded and submitted your application form, get ready to wait. The school will get in touch with you and your enrollment will be confirmed.
- For Global school
For Global school, the process remains pretty much the same. However, there are a few marked differences here.
- When you get redirected for the first time from the Florida Virtual School login page for the first time, don’t select the state of Florida option as your domicile.
- Here, select whichever state or country you hail for. This is particularly important because non-residents of Florida are not eligible for free tuition.
- You will only have the option of enrolling in Florida Virtual School.
- Once you are back on the Florida Virtual School login page and create your new account, you will be asked to pay the tuition fee.
Apart from this, the enrollment process is pretty much the same.
Eligibility – Main Criteria
There is a certain eligibility criterion that every student needs to fulfill in order to enroll in the school. You can check for their updated eligibility criteria on their website. However, for the most part, we have you covered right here.
- In case you are applying as a resident of Florida, then you will need to provide proof of residence in order to be eligible for the program.
- In case the student is enrolling in Kindergarten, they must be 5 years old as of September 1 of the year of enrollment.
- If the student is enrolling in first grade, they need to be 6 years old as of September 1 of the year of enrollment
- In case the student is enrolling in high school, they must be able to complete high school before the age of 20.
- To graduate, the student must be able to complete at least 6 courses during the semester.
- The student must have at least more than 25% of the available credits in order to enroll in a diploma course.
- Students with disabilities will need to meet the state and school admission criteria in order to be eligible to get enrolled.
- The student must have an internet connection and a system to operate in order to be able to take the classes.
There are a number of documents that one will need to present in order to get enrolled in Florida Virtual School. You can check for the updated list of documents required on the school website. However, for the most part, we have you covered in this regard as well.
- Proof of age – For this, a birth certificate will suffice. In case you are a foreign national, then a translated copy of the birth certificate is required.
- Proof of residency – You will need to provide this if you are not applying for Global School. In order to establish this, you can show a cell phone bill or a driver’s license.
- Proof of immunization – This is quite an exhaustive list, but we will try our best to cover it!
- 4 doses of diphtheria vaccine
- 4 doses of tetanus vaccine
- 4 doses of pertussis vaccine
- 4 doses of polio vaccine
- 2 doses of measles vaccine
- 2 doses of mumps vaccine
- 2 doses of rubella vaccine
- 2 doses of hepatitis B vaccine
- 2 doses of varicella vaccine
In case your child is not immunized according to these guidelines, you will need to provide the following exemption forms –
- Form DH680
- Form DH681
- Form DH680B
- Form DH680C
Failure to provide these exemption forms or certificates will lead to your ward’s application being rejected. So we would highly recommend that you procure these forms at the earliest possible.
- Academic records: Different academic records will be required for admissions in different grades. For the updated full list along with a list of exemptions, go and check the school’s website. What we have here, might change at any given notice. Still, for the time being, you can make do with this –
- For kindergarteners – No academic records are required
- 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and 4th graders – All report cards received till the time of admission.
- 5th graders – All report cards received till the time of admission and FSA scores for reading and math
- 6th to 8th graders – All report cards received till the time of admission and FSA scores for reading and math
- 9th graders – All report cards received till the time of admission and FSA score for reading and math along with EOC scores.
- 10th to 12th graders – Unofficial transcript consisting of all high school credits earned till the time of admission. They should also include all test scores for FCAT, FSA, EOC, etc.
- In case the student is homeschooled prior to admission, then provide the most recent district homeschool evaluation results and FSA test scores. In case the student is not a resident of Florida, then provide the results for the most recent standardized tests, etc.
- Other documents – These are the documents that you will need to provide only if they are applicable in your case. These documents are as follows –
- Custody documents from state or relevant federal agencies
- Individual education plan
- 504 plan along with other relevant documents. One may also reach out at hillsborough virtual school as it helps mold the children from keeping with the district curriculum.
Virtual school Florida : Requirements
Since the classes will be held online, let us now take a look at the minimum system requirements which your computer will have to provide for a smooth learning experience in order to take classes in Florida Virtual School.
- 250 GB of free HDD space
- Windows 7,8 or 10 for Windows PC and macOS 10.13 or higher for Apple products
- 8 GB RAM
- 12x CD ROM. CD/DVD ROM will be ideal
- 1024×768 resolution display
- Printer Access
- USB drives and ports
- Sound card with Microphones, speakers, and/or headsets.
For the software side of things, the following software is required –
- MS Office or OpenOffice or Google Docs
- Microsoft Edge, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome or Apple Safari browser
- Java should be installed
Please keep in mind that lightweight devices such as smartphones or Chromebooks will not be able to provide the student with an optimal learning experience. This is so because they don’t have the hardware necessary to be compatible with enlisted software.
Another thing worth mentioning here is that you should keep all the software updated. Otherwise, you might run into compatibility issues which might further hinder your education. And in case you are using an old smartphone, then we would recommend you to invest in a PC since the Florida virtual school moves away from old technology rather quickly.
In case you don’t have access to such a system or you are facing issues with your current system, then you can always purchase a refurbished system for less than $250.
So all in all we believe that we have provided you with quite an exhaustive overview of Florida Virtual school. The school has a whole host of advantages. As a quick recap, let us take a look at their USPs –
- Free education to students residing within the state of Florida
- Honors and AP programs are available for high school courses
- Different courses for different needs. In case you need a structured form of education, as close to traditional ways as possible, then the full time course is just the thing for you. In case you want a more flexible approach to things, then the Flex course is suitable for you.
- All relevant accreditations and certifications are present.
- Provisions for credit recovery courses and accelerated learning programs.
Most of the time credit plays an important part for High school graduation degree . Local school districts have other graduation requirement which they change frequently. If you want to know more about online courses, you can go through georgia virtual school.
Florida Virtual School Reviews :
Sometimes Reviews play important part to take decisions based on people’s opinion as they share their various experience and Florida Virtual School Reviews are great so far. There are lots of websites where people are talking about Florida online virtual school and their experience and so far the responses are positive. One student has shared his experience and said that he was enrolled for Algebra 2 and his experience with the teacher was very satisfactory. Another person has said that her daughter was suffering who was brilliant in studies but got lost somehow. So she was counselled and joined FLV Where she got her way back and started performing again. Another student appreciated the accessibility of the teachers like “they were a text away” as the student described. These feedbacks are very important for someone who feel indecisive and confused due to plenty of options.
So with all that being said, we believe that the school is coming true to its words to provide quality and affordable education to all. So in case you are someone with time or financial or other constraints, then we believe that Florida Virtual School is just the place for you. In case you need any further assistance in applying for their courses, be sure to hit us up!
To know more about other virtual school like Georgia virtual school please refer to our blog online schools.