Family Nurse Practitioner salary is quite good in terms of works they are required to do. There is a wide range of services that are offered by family nurse practitioners. Family Nurse Practitioners are known as advanced registered nurses who work autonomously or in collaboration with other professionals in healthcare to produce family-focused care. We have also provided in depth details of online medical school for more information.
The services offered by Family Nurse Practitioner revolve around the family unit which ranges from health prevention to direct care and counseling. In this article, we will be going to provide you deep insight into this career. We will also talk about family nurse practitioner salary Texas and family nurse practitioner average salary.
Family Nurse Practitioner Salary – Duties and Skills
Below are the list of duties mentioned that a family nurse practitioner has to perform.
- Creating plans for acute and chronic diseases.
- Educating and guiding patients so that they can understand their health problems and develop healthy lifestyle habits.
- Understanding the changes in health promotion.
- Conduction of examinations
- Performing diagnostic tests and screening evaluations
- Looking after overall patient care regarding lifestyle and development issues.
- Prescribing medications
- Emphasizing preventive care and disease management
Skills required to become a Family Nurse Practitioner
The job of a Family Nurse Practitioner demands certain skills. Possessing these skills can lead you to great success and can gradually hike up your family Nurse Practitioner Salary if you are looking to enter into this field.
- Professionalism– Nurses must exhibit professionalism in front of both patients and colleagues. Professionalism in the nursing field relates to various qualities such as compassion, responsibility, discipline, respect, and integrity. It is different from other professions because in this you have to be very sensitive.
They also provide psychological and moral support to the patients which are very important in recovery. Nurses have to be collaborative, supportive, and highly efficient in their work. Any mishap in this field can create a lot of problems
- Attention to Detail– In the medical field, attention to detail is very necessary. Any loss in concentration can result in loss of lives. The most important component of attention to detail is active listening. When you listen to the words of the patient carefully, the patient feels understood.
One must also learn to work with different perspectives here. It is essential to have a people-oriented approach rather than having a task-oriented one. Being mindful and present is very important in every meeting with the patient. Avoiding the distraction of thinking and being well-focused is a must.
- Critical Thinking– Critical and logical thinking is a must in every profession. The nurse must be problem-solvers. It is because time and resources are always in short supply in a medical setting. Using the right skills during emergency times truly demonstrates the quality of nurses.
Critical thinking combines information, evidence, experiences, and outcomes and converts them into effective plans and solutions for patients. Identification of the issue and a good rapport with the supervisor is very important here.
A nurse should also remain up-to-date with the findings of the professional journals and get involved with the facility’s improvement processes.
- Cultural awareness– Different cultures and beliefs play a lot of roles in a patient’s perceptions regarding health, wellness, care, acceptance, and adherence to treatment. Understanding and respecting patients’ needs and choices related to beliefs, customs, and practices is an important attribute of nursing care.
The first step in this process can be of recognizing one’s own biases. Once, you clear them out then you can move in the right direction of giving competent care. These skills can also be acquired through a course that can help the aspirants in this field out.
Average family nurse practitioner salary – Education
To become an FNP, passing an NCLEX-RN exam is a must because it will grant you a license. After gaining some experience, many of the Family Nurse practitioners go for a Master’s degree in Nursing with a concentration in family practice.
Generally, registered nurses complete a general education in nursing and then they opt for a post-graduation program in family nursing. There is a wide range of FNP specializations available. These include-
- Medical surgery
- Long-term care
- Critical care
There is a combination of didactic learning and clinical experience in both graduation and post-graduation courses in nursing. There is an emphasis on mastering advanced clinical skills. The nursing courses cover various subjects in addition to pharmacology, pathophysiology, advanced health assessment.
These include Nursing research methods, Adult and geriatric care, Family nursing theory, Family Nursing care, Socio-cultural issues, Dynamics of family healthcare, and Family Counselling. One can also look for best nursing schools in the USA.
After completing a graduate or postgraduate course, aspirants are eligible for national certification. Most states require national certification for approving licensure. Although not all the states accept the same national certifying bodies. That is why the candidate must verify with their state’s Board of Nursing beforehand. Having a certificate can be beneficial for your average family Nurse Practitioner Salary.
The American Nurses Credentialing Center (ANCC) provides the FNP-BC primary care certification. To qualify for this, aspirants must have an active RN license and a master’s, post-graduate, or a doctorate in an FNP related program that has received accreditation from the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education (CCNE).
Aspirants are required to complete at least 500 faculty-supervised clinical hours within their Family Nurse Practitioner program to be eligible for certification. The FNP program must include some portion of health promotion and disease prevention. It also should include differential diagnosis and disease management.
The coursework in FNP should have three spate courses. These include advanced physical assessment, Advanced Pharmacology, Advanced Pathophysiology.
After applying, 90 days will be given to applicants for preparation. The exam will be taken through a local Prometric Testing Center. Re-certification takes place every five years and it requires fulfilling specific clinical practice and continuing education requirements.
ANCC offers other certifications as well, that are based on the other specialties. These include certification for Acute nurse care practitioner, Adult nurse practitioner, adult psychiatric and mental health and mental health nurse practitioner, Diabetes Management, Family Psych Practitioner, Paediatric Nurse Practitioner, School Nurse practitioner, etc.
The American Academy of Nurse Practitioners (AANP) also offers a national level certification in family practice. To qualify for this certification, applicants must have an active RN license and a master’s or doctoral degree.
Applicants must submit the proof in the form of documentation. These include written proof of 500 clinical hours under a supervising faculty. Completion of course in advanced physical assessment or advanced pharmacology or advanced pathophysiology can result into a good average family Nurse Practitioner Salary.
After the aspirant applies to take the certification examination, they are given 120 days to finish the exam after they have got approval to test the date from the professional examination services.
All appointments for testing are made through the Prometric testing center. Every five years, there is recertification which requires specific clinical practice and continuing education requirements.
Family nurse practitioner salary 2020
The salary depends on the basis of the specialization they are working in. So we have categorized family nurse practitioner salary 2020 on the basis of specializations in the following-
- Gerontology- $94,485
- Mental health- $92,396
- HIV Clinic- $89,506
- Family Practice- $89,317
- Diabetes- $88,397
- Retail Clinic- $96,800
- Private NP- $111,750
- Private physician- $95,680
- Community Health center- $92,110
- Rural health clinic- $92000
- Hospital Outpatient Clinic- $98,720
- Emergency Room- $115,070
- In-patient hospital unit- $103,650
- Veterans Admin facility- $111,110
These family Nurse Practitioner Salary 2020 is calculated on an annual basis. The average hourly rate for Family Nurse Practitioner is between $40 and $62.
We also have a state-wise breakdown of the average annual salary of a family nurse practitioner.
Family nurse practitioner salary Texas
It is one of the best states to work for FNP. The average annual salary is $109,705 here which is very good. Texas has a growing population and there is an abundance of private physicians who continue to hire family nurse practitioners for easing their workload.
Family nurse practitioner salary California
California is a very high paying-state for family nurse practitioners. This state has the highest packages. The annual average salary is $124,919. There are quite big hospitals here, so the employment opportunities are huge.
Family nurse practitioner salary NYC
New York includes some of the best hospitals. There are a lot of medical facilities that rely on family nurse practitioners. The average annual salary for FNP is $115,499.
Family nurse practitioner salary Florida
The average salary of a family nurse practitioner in Florida is $98,471, and the job outlook is phenomenal. Florida has one of the fastest-growing populations in the country, and because much of the population is elderly, the demand for healthcare providers is especially high.
Nursing homes are a leading employer of FNPs in this state so the family Nurse Practitioner Salary Florida is generally high. Also other facilities like hospitals and private doctors’ offices rely on them, as well.
- Ohio– In Ohio, the average annual salary is $101,225. FNP’s here work in many medical teaching hospitals. In the University of Cincinnati, ground-breaking research and treatment are offered.
- Indiana– Indiana is one of the fastest-growing states in terms of FNP job opportunities. The average annual salary is $100,294. Although there is a lack of prestigious medical schools, Ohio does have an aging population. That is why the demand for family nurse practitioners is quite high here.
- New Jersey– Family Nurse Practitioner Salary in New Jersey is $115,913 a year, and many work at some of the best hospitals in the region, including Morristown Medical Center, Hackensack University Medical Center, and Robert Wood Johnson University Hospital.
New Jersey has numerous renowned specialists like plastic surgeons and fertility experts, which are also hot places of employment for FNPs.
- Massachusetts– If you want to work as a family nurse practitioner in Massachusetts, you will earn $118,386 a year, on average. FNPs also play a very crucial role working alongside obstetricians, which are in especially short supply across the state.
So these were the highest paying states for family nurse practitioners in the United States of America. Family Nurse practitioner salary is very high in these states and there are a huge number of opportunities. For more information you can also look for how much does a nurse make.
Family practice nurse practitioner salary – Career options.
Many arguments support the fact that why is this career so promising. Here are the reasons why it is a great career.
- You get to be as near to being a doctor without actually being a doctor, and without losing touch with your caring side. As an FNP, you will be required to work directly with patients, but you will have far greater responsibilities than a general Registered Nurse (RN). Indeed, in some states, you will even be able to prescribe medication.
- You will have the chance to fill in your working life the way you see fit. The U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics has predicted that growth in demand and opportunities in the field of FNPs is set to be higher than other areas of nursing.
Hence, because you will be so much in demand, you will be able to choose from a wide range of work settings and if you want to work fewer hours, there is a high chance that you will be allowed to. Remember time also plays an important role regarding family practice nurse practitioner salary.
- You get to work in lots of geographical areas. Some nurses prefer to work in large hospitals, while others prefer to work in remote and rural communities. Either way, there will be work for you.
- Due to very high demand for properly qualified nurses, particularly those with advanced practice degrees like an FNP, many employers are now sponsoring the bill for the education. This means you might not even have to pay for it yourself. One might also be interested to in exploring about what is the highest paid nurse.
- You get an opportunity to work directly with people. The best part about nursing, for many, is the fact that you get to work directly with patients. This is something that is not there with many advanced practice degrees, where your job becomes more behind the scenes.
This is not the case with FNPs, however, who continue to work directly with people.
- For family practice nurse practitioner salary this field is fascinating and diverse. You won’t ever spend a single minute of your day being bored or wanting to go home. There will be many exciting and interesting things in here.
A family nurse practitioner is a field with a huge number of opportunities. The demand for FNPs is going to increase more and more because of the aging population in most of the countries and the cost-effectiveness that a family nurse practitioner provides.
With all being said, if you are passionate about the medical profession and you love to help people then this is an excellent career choice for you.
We have answered all the details regarding family nurse practitioner salary, education, and scope. So if you are opting for this career, you are taking a very good decision. If you still have doubts, feel free to contact us. Also you can find us at online schools near me. We will be ready at your service. Thank you!