What is Elementary School?
Elementary schools are the main sources of delivery of primary education in the US. These educational institutions are meant for kids between the ages of 5 to 11, including the children coming between pre-kindergarten and secondary education. According to the latest survey reports, there are more than 93,000 elementary schools (including private and public institutions) in the US. Most of these elementary schools educate students from Grade-One through Grade-Fifth.
As we all know, education institutions are rapidly transforming and modernizing in the 21st century. Hence, there are parents and educators who are probing for the finest ways to edify their children. Well, you can get your child enrolled in an elementary school, high school, or online middle school because these educational institutions can do a lot to enrich your child’s edification.
As a matter of fact, the proliferation of the internet and the advancement of communication technologies have provided adequate tools to the children and teachers for improving individual learning experiences.
Well, elementary schools are becoming increasingly popular with millions of students accessing elementary education from all around the world. Although a lot of people think of elementary schools as geared exclusively towards high schools, the supplemental and online school programs that are offered here at elementary schools could be of great help and benefit to the students.
Further discussed are some key elements of elementary schools that you must know. It will eventually help you to assess whether or not these elementary schools are right for your child.
Elementary School – An Overview
Elementary schools are quite similar to traditional schools, especially when it comes to coursework and curriculum. Students who get enrolled in elementary schools are required to finish their elementary coursework and submit all assignments in order to receive grades. Moreover, the best thing about elementary schools is that these educational institutions offer an online environment to their students for completing their elementary coursework.
There are numerous benefits of the proponents of elementary school. These educational institutions not only offer personalized learning programs to the students but also use proficient and resourceful course management systems for offering immediate feedback on student’s progress. In fact, most online elementary schools provide the right flexibility to the students to complete the coursework at their own pace, as per their specific needs. It eventually cultivates and encourages the sense of independence and self-determination in students at an early age, thereby preparing students for the process of independent learning in the long run.
It is important for you to know that online elementary schools are available in a variety of packages. Many states and school districts proffer free online elementary education to the children who’re living within the district or state limits. Besides public schools and online elementary schools, students can also opt for private elementary schools and online charters. In fact, there are many families who are turning towards elementary schools for educational improvement, whereas others are using online elementary classes for providing remedial help to struggling students.
Moreover, a lot of elementary schools provide self-paced learning courses to the students, which eventually allows the learners to quickly progress through their mastered subjects. So, if you want your child to experience a great degree of flexibility alongside adhering to the federal or state educational standards, then seeking out online elementary schools is really a great idea.
Online Elementary School Glossary
There are many significant terms related to online elementary schools that you need to know. Some of these terms are described below.
- Learning Coach – It is a term that most online elementary schools use for the teachers, coaches, or adults who are primarily responsible for assisting the students through their online coursework and curriculum. A learning coach can be any adult who is willing to fulfill the role. These coaches are not only responsible for offering ongoing guidance and supervision but they also provide motivation to their students throughout the academic year.
- Hybrid or Blended Learning – Blended learning basically means formal learning. This term refers to the online learning system that combines on-campus instructions along with digital delivery. As a matter of fact, blended learning can readily take different forms and may include in-class instructions combined with in-class discussion, online practice, and online exploration.
- Synchronous Learning – It is a form of an online learning system that includes all essential features of traditional classroom learning. Synchronous learning basically involves a group of students who learn the same thing at the same time. There are several tools for synchronous learning systems such as course management systems, learning videos, and web conferences. As a matter of fact, synchronous learning can easily proffer and promote a sense of community among online students.
- Asynchronous Learning – It is another common term that refers to the self-paced and self-guided student-centered learning. Asynchronous learning makes the proper use of several communication tools such as discussion boards, emails, in-personal interactions between teachers and students, and course management systems. Moreover, this learning system eventually provides a great deal of flexibility for the enrolled learners.
- Course Management System (CMS) – The main purpose of course management systems is to ensure proper delivery of educational content within an inclusive online learning system. These programs not only proffer the right course materials to the students but also allow these learners to take part in online assessments, class discussions, debate with teachers, and other performance-tracking activities.
- Full-time online schools – Unlike the traditional brick-and-mortar school, full-time online elementary schools require no attendance or chair time. These educational institutions completely rely on the digital or online delivery of student work, online coursework, and other instructional content.
- Supplemental Online Programs – These online programs are specially designed to complement brick-and-mortar schooling or learning systems. Some of the most common examples of supplemental online programs may include a progressive course study of any particular language or a single-semester course in geometry. It is important for you to know that supplemental online learning courses are specifically meant for remedial and enrichment education. They can be a part of any formal learning program or an improvised addition for an individual learner.
- Public online Elementary Schools – These are publicly funded schools that are state-sponsored and they offer a proper and well-detailed curriculum and coursework to meet with the common core learning standards.
- Private Online Elementary Schools – These online schools are not required to adhere to the common core learning standards. Moreover, private online elementary schools charge tuition and their official recognition eventually offers a benchmark of good-quality to their learning system.
- Online Charter – A lot of people don’t know that online charter schools are generally overseen and sponsored by the local districts or the state. In fact, students who’re living in neighboring areas can simply attend the online charter schools for free.
Online Elementary Schools Coursework
All authorized elementary schools, including private, public, and online charters, cover the same core coursework and concepts. The only benefit of getting your child enrolled in an elementary school is that they offer the utmost flexibility to the students in different academic topics, as well as delivery methods. It is important for you to know that online elementary schools are essentially affiliated with the state education departments or local school districts in order to proffer the best scholastic-growth opportunities.
- Kindergarten – The kindergarten curriculum of elementary schools provides the essential building blocks for ensuring students’ proper academic growth. Together with the basics of math and literacy, students also get to explore various science topics. In addition to this, some elementary schools also offer resourceful electives to the students in terms of art, technology, and physical education. Some key modules of kindergarten elementary coursework may include:
- Identifying and writing letters
- Using sight words.
- Representing reading comprehension.
- First Grade – First grade learners are required to work on literacy and basic math skills alongside learning about different science topics. Their coursework might also include different social studies lessons ranging from different kinds of social systems to the organization of communities.
- Second Grade – The second grade of the elementary education system focuses on developing the crucial thinking skills of the students. Their coursework might also include important science lessons like soil erosion, water cycles, gravity, states of matter, and friction. Other topics may include social studies lessons on different country maps, basic landforms, federal and local government, and early American history.
- Third Grade – The 3rd grade of elementary education focuses on enhanced writing and reading fluency in order to enable students to explore different topics with more depth. The third grade coursework may include plants and animal life cycles along with other science topics like the ecosystem, the properties of matter, and the solar system.
- Fourth Grade – The fourth grade of elementary schooling ushers students towards a higher and improved level of problem solving, through, and critical thinking. The coursework also includes important science and social studies topics such as the climate cultures, geography of different regions, force and motion, animal adaption, phases of the moon, properties of matter, and many more.
- Fifth Grade – The fifth grade’s coursework is all about honing the math and language skills of the students, thereby preparing them for all types of middle school challenges. It also encompasses different lessons in science and social studies such as plate tectonics, animal and plant cells, the periodic table, effects of gravity and friction on motion, the Civil War, the American Revolution, and the Westward Expansion.
Are Elementary Schools the Right Fit for your Child?
Elementary schools are pretty much similar to traditional teaching environments, especially in terms of coursework and curriculum. Students who get enrolled at elementary schools are required to complete their elementary coursework along with submitting assignments in order to receive better grades. Moreover, if you’re wondering as to when does elementary school start, then I would like to bring this to your knowledge that elementary schools and online charter schools generally start their learning programs and coursework at the beginning of the academic year. The only difference is that with online elementary schools, students get an opportunity to complete their elementary coursework in a flexible online environment. There are many other interesting benefits that online elementary schools offer to their students.
- Extremely Flexible – It is often difficult for an art-performing student to take leaves for weeks or months from their school. However, online elementary schools help them to cover up their coursework and stay on their academic track alongside auditioning, performing, and rehearsing.
- Easily Accessible – Online elementary learning systems are easily accessible and hence, they can easily help students to stay on track and stick to their schoolwork.
- Extremely convenient – It is a well-known fact that health issues and other problems can eventually keep students away from attending schools. However, online elementary schools allow the learners to ease their transition and keep pace with their peers.
- Steady Progress – Online elementary learning systems are immensely resourceful, effective, and convenient. These learning platforms can enable students to explore more and more subjects, thereby enhancing their challenges and interests, as well as engaging their natural curiosity.
- Valuable Family time – Online elementary schools are an ideal option for all those families who believe in homeschooling. These flexible and resourceful online learning systems not only encourage the kid’s family involvement but also offer rigorous academics with flexible schedule meshes to promote your child’s leisure activities and meaningful family time.
Choosing the Right Elementary School for Your Child
Elementary Schools can really be a great alternative to traditional brick-and-mortar schools. However, it is important that you select the right elementary school in order to ensure top-quality and resourceful schooling of your child. So, here are the 5 key points that you must consider while selecting the right elementary school for your toddler.
- Accreditation –
- Well Qualified teachers and learning coaches
- Comprehensive curriculum
- Academic Support
Help Your Child Succeed in an Elementary School
Even though online elementary schools seem like an unconventional form of schooling, they are typically the perfect alternative to traditional schools. The resourceful and beneficial learning system that is offered here at online elementary schools eventually helps students in becoming self-controlled and self-motivated.
So, if you want your child to obtain proficiency in math, science, language arts, reading and writing, social studies, and other significant subjects, then all you need to do is to research the top elementary schools near me and choose the right that is well accredited. For more information on the online elementary schools, make sure to contact us and speak with our team of academic professionals.